Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Review of 'Riding Redemption (Redemption #2)' by Bonnie R. Paulson

RidingRedemptionbanner  


RR2Front
Riding Redemption

Desperate to find her place in the world, Sara Beth dreams of applying for the Miss Wrangler Montana competition that tours with the rodeo circuit.

Riding horses has become her anchor until a near fatal accident takes more from her than she’d ever willingly sacrifice.

Determined to prove his business training, Johnny seeks out the Rourke family to call in an old favor. When he embroils himself in Sara Beth’s life, he has to prove they’re nothing more than friends. 

Seeking independence, both Sara Beth and Johnny lean on each other more and more, until love threatens their friendship. Will they seek out each other or be confused by their dreams?

Can either of them leave their past and embrace their future?

Add to your TBR list on Goodreads


**My thoughts**
I just love Bonnie R. Paulson. She has a knack for making genres I don't typically read into something I can devour in just a matter of hours. This series is no exception, as I don't typically read Western romance.

This book tells Sara Beth's story, several months after we leave her and her sister Rosie in the previous installment. Sara Beth is now an adult, and understandably wants to forge her own path in life. She feels stifled by Rosie and Michael. But her impulsivity creates a dangerous situation from which she is lucky to have survived.

There is that survival piece again. Sara Beth survived her accident. Now she must learn to survive her life as it is. She must learn to survive the new rules, to survive the expectations of Rosie and Michael, to survive her own thoughts and desires. Johnny is the perfect person to help her with this. I even ended up with a bit of a crush on him, myself. He has screwed up in his own past, but truly has a heart of gold. 

I love seeing Sara Beth come into her own, especially considering her past. I was disappointed with Rosie's behavior in this one, but also realize that her actions are being shown through the filter of a younger sister's eyes. Rosie still is learning a lot about life and shows a lot of growth in this book, in addition to everything she went through in the first installment.

There are also new characters introduced, who are going to change the sisters' lives forever, but in a good way. Each one of these is going to have her own story, and I look forward to learning more about each of them.

These books are a fast read, but a pleasurable way to pass the time, especially during this super cold winter. Like I said, even if you are not a fan of Western romance, I think you will enjoy this one. You don't necessarily have to read the first one, but you will want to, to better understand the girls' stories.

Available on Amazon



RomancingRedemptionFrontNameRomancing Redemption (Book #1)

Facing a life of prostitution or homelessness, Rosie Scott must make a choice centered on keeping her and her sister safe in the wilds of an unforgiving Montana land. With their background, the two girls need a fresh start.In Colby, Montana opportunities are as thick as needles on a pine tree. Savvy and independent, Rosie decides to take a chance and start a business, earning her the respect of many town residents.

She catches the eye of two men. One interested in exploiting her past and one interested in redeeming her heart.

But Rosie’s secrets and who she really is shadow her hopes for happiness. Can a man love her most when her past refuses to leave?


**My thoughts**
Western romance? Not my thing. Bonnie R. Paulson wrote it? Okay, I will give it a shot.

Hook, line, and sinker.

Paulson is one of my favorite authors, because she can always take a genre in which I am not highly interested and turn it into a book that I can't put down. 

I admit that at first, I thought this was also a historical romance, because Rosie and her sister are currently residing at a brothel, after being dumped there by their father who is part of a gang of thugs terrorizing the area. After a while, I did finally figure out that it was a pretty modern story.

I admire Rosie's determination to save herself and her sister, to prove to the world that they are good people. I understand her difficulty trusting anyone else. I admire her work ethic. And I have to love Michael, who seems to bring out the best in her.

Yet another story of survival, Rosie shows that you don't have to give in to the environment in which you were raised. You don't have to adhere to the genes raging through your body. You can find your own path in life and become your own person, if you CHOOSE to do so. You can fight hard to prove the naysayers wrong. It won't be an easy road, but it will happen. When you fight, the reward will be to your benefit.

Another fast, great read from Paulson, with more coming in this series. I look forward to them all.

Amazon / Barnes and Noble / iBooks / Goodreads


BonnieBonnie R. Paulson mixes her science and medical background with reality and possibilities to make even myths seem likely and give every romance the genetic strength to survive. Bonnie has discovered a dark and twisty turn in her writing that she hopes you enjoy as much as she has enjoyed uncovering it. Dirt biking with her family in the Northwest keeps her sane.

Follow on:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the tremendous amount of spam I receive on my blogs, all comments are moderated and will be added throughout the day.