Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Meet Carley Bauer & Lynette Willows, co-authors of 'No Gentleman Is He'

 
Spend some time with authors Carley Bauer and Lynette Willows, as they share more with us about themselves and their collaboration, 'No Gentleman Is He.'
 
What was the inspiration behind 'No Gentleman Is He'?
Carley: Lynette and I had been writing interactively for a decade when both of us realized we were empty-nesters with the time to dedicate to serious writing. I created Cassandra with a background, and she created Colton along with his background. The war for independence from England was my idea, but she ran with it in true Canadian fashion!
Why did you choose this time period?
Carley: 1775, coupled with the Virginia plantation setting, gave us wiggle room. We weren't as tied to societal standards, as say, the Civil War. It was new, untested land. Raw. We could each see a lot of potential for romance.
Which character(s) spoke to you the most during the writing process?
Carley: For me, Cassandra. I also had a good grip on Margaret, a secondary character. For Lynette I'm sure it would be Colton and Tom, a secondary character who was the head stableman at Varina Farms. We both love secondary characters who round out a story. Cassandra's parents, were strong influences in the book, as well. They show up during the later part of the book. Kirk Courtney, Cassandra's father, was a character I wrote for many years ago. I'd love to expand on him. Give him his own book.
Which scene is your favorite?
Carley: So many great scenes to choice from! Cassandra's first visit to Colton's plantation when they rode along his property stands out as one of my favorites.
Two of you wrote this book together. What are the pros and cons of doing this?
Carley: The pros definitely outweigh the cons. We inspire each other. We are two very different women in real life, and yet kindred spirits in writing. We push each other to greater heights. The only con is waiting for the other to finish her end of the manuscript.  
Lynette: Pro is working with a great writer, which Carley is. Our creativity and ideas always seem to run on parallel lines. A definite con is my obsession with camping and fishing, Carley being a confirmed city girl and me the redneck Canuck. I’m sure it’s frustrating to her. However, I do try to have my part of the script done before heading out the wild mountains for a week.
Do you have any other published works, separately or together?
This is our first book together.  
Carley: I have written only a weekly news letter for 2nd Families Coalition. Lynette has worked in journalism and freelance.

Do you have any other projects in the works, again separately or together?
Carley: We are working on the second book in the Sons of Liberty series together. I have also outlined and have the first four chapters of a book set in Bedford Pennsylvania during the Whiskey Rebellion. My hero served in the war for independence, and arrived home to find his wife and son had been killed. He took a job in Philadelphia at a bank. On his journey north, an early winter blizzard finds him waylaid in Bedford where he meets the heroine.  
Lynette: Book 2 of Sons of Liberty series, as Carley mentioned. I am also working on a thriller, a mystery involving the sled dog racing circuit, and a Canadian lit piece slightly reminiscent of “To Kill A Mockingbird” in tone but not content. And a Christmas western romance set in WW1. As you can tell, I get bored in just one genre.
What is so intriguing about reading and writing in the historical romance genre?
Carley: It transports one to a different time with various possibilities that aren't available in contemporary writing. I have always had a penchant for history and research. Writing in a historical time period satisfies a need in me.
How do you make yourselves stand out in this competitive genre?
Carley: We're hoping to add just the right touches of historical accuracy with romance to make the reader take notice. Lynette and I have gone to great pains in Book One, as well as book two of the Sons of Liberty series to research the time period, adding in those fascinating bits of history.  
Lynette: Research…and creating a romance that is exciting and sophisticated. I’m on a personal mission to present romances for readers who demand more from their stories and their authors.
What is something readers may be surprised to learn about you?
Carley: I did not grow up in Virginia on horse farm. many of the reviews assume I did since our information was so real to life.  
Lynette: Despite being a redneck Albertan, I love language and its symmetry. I feel I should respect my language and not abuse or be careless with it. Yes, I’m a grammar Nazi.
Is there anything else you would like to share?
Carley: We'd love to have your followers read No Gentleman Is He, and even give us an honest review. We believe, if they love historical romance, they'll fall in love with both our characters and the story.
Thank you so much for your time!

Carley Bauer

Carley Bauer enjoys life on the eastern seaboard of the U.S. with her husband and their blue eyed feline, Noelle. After 30 years as a state contractor in a self employed capacity, she decided to try her hand at her first love, writing. 
 
She loves being an empty nester, free to travel with her husband. Still involved with her children and grandchildren, Carley loves big family events. Some of her other hobbies are home decor, fashion, graphic arts, and the occasional bite of the Big Apple where the excitement feeds her natural love of city life.


LINKS:

Email: carleybauer210@gmail.com

 
Lynette Willows
I’m Lynette Willows. I live in rural Alberta, Canada. My debut novel, “No Gentleman Is He”, the first in the Sons of Liberty series, is co-written along with my partner in romance, Carley Bauer.
Some have mentioned I have a very interesting past. Not only was it unusual, but some would even say reckless. I’ve lived on an Indian reserve in a teepee with my young son for three months in the winter, I’ve chased storms, and worked as a social services aide on one of the most troubled and dangerous reserves in Canada, where I met great friends as well as made a few enemies.
I enjoy camping, movies, especially historical bio dramas, strange dogs, stranger cats, exclamation points, coffee mugs with stupid sayings, friends, the crazier the better, family, as long as they are crazier than I am, and I have a huge collection of shiny, outrageous earrings. Yes, I’m a magpie. I’ll only play chess with my husband because he’ll let me win.
If you’re curious about my favorite reading material, it’s very eclectic and varied. I’m extremely picky about what I read, so check out my “to read” list on Goodreads. You can also follow me and Carley, my talented, patient, and illustrious co-author at our fan page on Facebook at “Lynette Willows & Carley Bauer”. I’m also on Twitter under @LynetteWillows, as well as Pinterest, though I’m still figuring that out. You are welcome to also visit me and chat at “Lynette Willows, Author” at http://lynettewillows.blogspot.ca/.

I have enormous respect for the reader. They are able to take symbols from a page that an author has invented, and turn them into images in their minds that create an enduring story. If that’s not artistry, I don’t know what is.”-Lynette Willows

 
NO GENTLEMAN IS HE
By
Carley Bauer and Lynette Willows

BLURB:
Young, adventurous and widowed in a new land, Cassandra Courtney Brooks finds her dream of raising a superior breed of saddle horse slipping away with the death of her husband. Left with four horses, living in a tavern attic, and her scant savings depleting, she resolves to see her vision through to fruition by accepting the scandalous position of steward at Varina Farms.

Born in the image of his native ancestry, Colton Rolfe’s savage blood runs through his veins. Scorned by his father, Colt grew into a man of ill temperament whose only interest is the wild equine beasts on his plantation. His desire to breed his horses with the superior Thoroughbreds of the newly widowed Cassandra Brooks leads him to abandon societal rules. Colt’s growing resentment toward the Crown and his assistance to Sons of Liberty missions is complicated by the discovery that Cassandra’s father is a titled English nobleman.

Cassandra is soon forced to question the wisdom of her decision when she finds herself enamored with her employer. As fiery passion grows between them, Cassandra realizes her own spirit of independence, love of the land, and the savage man who is so much a part of it.
As the threat of war comes ever closer, wills are tested through gunfire, treachery, danger, and kidnapping. Does Colt dare trust Cassandra with Sons of Liberty secrets? More importantly, can he trust her with his heart? And will Colt ever trust Cassandra enough to love her as she longs to be loved?
Read an excerpt:
Cassandra stopped short and gasped to find her employer gawking at her. In a futile attempt to hide more of her nudity, she tried pulling the towel more tightly about her. She stood helpless as his gaze traveled down her bare shoulders to her breasts, half exposed over the damp towel. Her legs were fully exposed to his appreciative view.

You are not supposed to be here,” she blurted out, her blush spreading quickly across her face.

I live here,” he reminded her in a husky voice.

Yes.” Realizing how ludicrous it was to stand there and argue an obvious point, she politely added, “Excuse me,” as she fled upstairs.

His gaze followed her progress, enjoying the view from his advantageous angle of exposed, creamy, firm buttocks. His desire rose quickly, making his breeches tight. He decided it was best if he retreated to his room until he felt more in control.

Climbing the stairway, he turned into his room where a confused Cassandra stood in the middle of his bedchambers, looking around. She whirled to face him, a groan escaping her lips when she realized she was not going to escape another embarrassing situation.
 

There will be two winners drawn at the end of the tour. Winner 1 will receive a lovely pair of colonial era earrings (U.S. only please due to shipping constraints); Winner 2 will receive a $100 Amazon GC. Follow the tour for more chances to win!
 

16 comments:

  1. I echo the sentiments of Goddess Fish. We greatly appreciate your hosting us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for hosting us, Andrea, and thanks also to Goddess Fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that this is a collaboration, I can see how it would push you to do even better. How did you end up coming together and deciding to write it together?


    fencingromein at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun interview--I'm always curious to see how collaborations work!

    vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool you co-wrote the book

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love the research. So much so that I doubt I would get anything else done.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynette and I met at an interactive writing group. We clicked, and before long we were writing together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shannon, Carley and I met many moons ago during MSN groups (remember those?). We instantly clicked in my interactive writing group, and the rest is history. We have been writing together for many years now, and it seems more natural than writing alone.

    Thanks for visiting, Anonymous! The interview WAS fun.

    Thanks for popping in, bn100. I actually prefer the process of co-authoring than not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always impressed at collaborative writing! I enjoy reading about the Independence War (Revolutionary) and American colonial history! Adding the romance is even better! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GOOD LUCK WITH THE BOOK AND THE BOOK TOUR! THANKS FOR THE GIVEAWAY! SHELLEY S. calicolady60@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for the late post. I’m playing catch-up here so I’m just popping in to say HI and sorry I missed visiting with you on party day! Hope you all had a good time!
    kareninnc at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the publication of No Gentleman Is He! It sounds like a fascinating book. I enjoy historical romance set during this time period and will be adding this book to my TBR list.
    bhometchko(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. THough I haven't really read any books from that time period, I think I would love this book!

    andralynn7 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for posting this, I am really excited about the book and also the giveaway is fantastic!

    hense1kk(at)cmich(dot) edu

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really hadn't thought about writing in a different time period would free you from societal standards. I know each time period had standards and they are certainly not the same - and part of the enjoyment of reading differnt periods is reading about those 'standards' & 'expectations'. But during that time before the states won their independence, and in an area still sort of 'uncivilized' (well, that's the wrong word, maybe 'untamed' is better), the societal standards were fluid; being worked out; and as Carley said - wiggle room.

    donna(dot)durnell(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

    ReplyDelete

Due to the tremendous amount of spam I receive on my blogs, all comments are moderated and will be added throughout the day.